Organic Gardening - WA Museum Boola Bardip October
Time & Location
About the Event
What is “organic” vegetable gardening? If the packet says “organic” it must be better for my family?
Organic vegetable gardening is regaining popularity with a resurgence of “growing your own” and swapping excess with neighbours, family and friends.
There is nothing quite like going to your garden and picking what you need for the next meal and compost your scraps back into food for next seasons crops.
Gardening organically isn’t something “new”, it is how farming and gardening use to be before World War II.
It is wonderful to see more and more people wanting to re-adopt this gardening method and the long term ripple affect is infinite for you and our next generation.
This workshop will dispel some myths, give you facts, and send you away armed with resources and information as well as practical approaches to work with the problems as they come up. It is all about balance.
Through this workshop you will be shown;
· The importance of designing and planning your garden.
· How to “read” your garden or landscape. What are the messages?
· Soil, composting choices, Hugelkultur and lasagne beds
· Getting the most out of your growing area including vertical space
· How to avoid spraying - a system for working with pests and beneficial insects
· Why rotate crops and companion plant?
· Where to trade, buy or swap organic seeds, produce and information
Attendees are encouraged to bring in soil to sample and seeds or cuttings to swap.